Interning at the University of Virginia Library in summer 2015, I worked with Ivey Glendon (Manager, Metadata Access and Design) and Mike Durbin (Lead Engineer for Repository Services) to improve and use Transmog, a web application for converting Word Document Finding Aids into EAD. At the completion of my internship, I converted approximately 40 Finding Aids into DACS (and ArchivesSpace) compliant EAD Finding Aids and made several improvements to Transmog.
Transmog is extremely useful for quickly converting finding aids with similar patterns (for example, box number, title, and folder are indicated in the same way through indents and spacing.) This is one of the greatest strengths of Transmog, and a feature I believe is worth further development. During my internship, we set up the tool to recognize a specific pattern and auto apply the relevant tags.
I gave a brown bag presentation for the University of Virginia Library community at the conclusion of my internship. Please look through it below for more details on Transmog and my work! Mike subsequently presented about the project at MARAC 2016, and I gave a lightning talk at the SNAP Roundtable meeting at SAA 2015. I hope that Transmog will be useful to other manuscripts and archives repositories!